If you’re anything like most bodybuilders, chances are you’re probably already familiar with prohormones. Besides boosting strength and endurance levels, these compounds also help pick up the pace of adding lean muscle gains and cutting down overall recovery time.
However, there is one type of prohormone that’s making a name for itself in the bodybuilding world these days for its rather unique ability. 11-oxo is said to help stop aging, particularly in terms of staving off muscle wasting that is one of the most prominent consequences of the same.
How about we give this prohormone a closer look in a bit to see if this claim is really spot-on?
A Quick Rundown on 11-Ketotestosterone or 11-oxo
This prohormone is naturally produced in the adrenal glands and is converted into 11-ketotestosterone, which is basically a mild androgen. This conversion of 11-oxo into 11-ketotestosterone is the main reason behind its anabolic effects.
11-Ketotestosterone and Aging
But the thing is 11-oxo is gathering a lot of followers for another benefit that it flaunts. It is said that this compound can help stop aging and prevent its effects on the body, specifically muscle wasting.
The anti-aging benefit of this prohormone is seen through its ability to keep an enzyme called 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type1 reductase (11HSD1R) at bay.
11HSD1R basically converts cortisone into cortisol, a steroid hormone produced by the adrenal gland that is churned out when the body experiences a low concentration of blood-glucose or perhaps going through a lot of stress.
What’s even worse is cortisol not just promotes the storage of fat tissues, specifically in the chest and oblique areas, but also sets off a catabolic effect when its levels become really high. The latter is very prominent among older individuals that suffered both muscle wasting and loss of strength.
Benefits of 11-Oxo
- 11-oxo has various benefits among which a major one is its non-aromatizing nature. This means that it does not convert into estrogen, the hormone responsible for the development of female secondary sex characteristics. So you don’t have to worry about problems like gynecomastia. It also saves you from other estrogenic effects like water retention which leads to fat loss and dry lean gains. As you would know, dry gains are much easier to maintain as compared to wet gains, so this is an additional benefit.
- This prohormone inhibits the function of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type1 reductase, an enzyme that converts cortisone into muscle wasting cortisol. This cortisol not only wastes muscle mass but also promotes fat deposits around the chest area and oblique. By inhibiting the function of this enzyme, 11-oxo helps its users lose fat quickly and retain their gains for a longer period. This is a benefit that all bodybuilders would love to experience.
- 11-oxo is gathering a lot of followers for another benefit that it flaunts. It is said that this compound can help stop aging and prevent its effects on the body, specifically muscle wasting in old people. The anti-aging benefit of this prohormone is seen through its ability to inhibit the enzyme responsible for cortisone conversion, as discussed above. This enzyme basically converts cortisone into cortisol, a steroid hormone produced by the adrenal gland that is churned out when the body experiences a low concentration of blood-glucose or perhaps going through a lot of stress. What’s even worse is cortisol not just promotes the storage of fat tissues, specifically in the chest and oblique areas, but also sets off a catabolic effect when its levels become really high. The latter is very prominent among older individuals that suffered both muscle wasting and loss of strength.
- It increases strength and energy levels significantly thereby helping its users to train harder for longer periods.
- It speeds up protein synthesis and improves recovery time. Thus you can work out more frequently.
Side Effects of 11-Oxo
It is a mild prohormone and therefore does not have any serious side effects. It does not harm your organs like other prohormones. Also, as it does not convert into estrogen so you don’t have to worry about any estrogenic effects. However, there are a few side effects that you may experience like dry and achy joints, sleep disorders, and loss of libido.
Dosage Guidelines for 11-Oxo
Just like other prohormones, it is very important to take 11-oxo at an ideal dosage to get maximum benefit from it. According to experts, the recommended dosage of 11-oxo is 300-500 mg per day orally. If you apply it topically then 180 mg is the ideal dosage per day. This prohormone can through the skin via carriers and can be applied on the chest and midsection. When you apply it directly on the skin, a much lower dosage is required to get to the results. Whereas, when you take it orally, this non-methylated prohormone is needed in high doses and may lead to gastric digestion. As this prohormone does not have a Methyl group in its formula, it does not have any protection during digestion. Many bodybuilders have reported experiencing quick results by applying 11-oxo on the skin, as opposed to the oral doses which take longer to show noticeable results. The recommended cycle duration of 11-oxo is 5-6 weeks as most of the bodybuilders have reported experiencing best results within this time span. They have gained considerable pounds of lean muscle mass along with cutting a good amount of fat.
Some of the users are cycling at 500 mg per day and some at even more. Also, as it is a mild prohormone, a few users prolong their cycle up to 12 weeks. However, long cycle durations are not recommended as they can lead to serious side effects like high blood pressure and increased chances of cortisol rebound after discontinuation of the prohormone. Also, the longer you cycle with a prohormone, the lesser responsive your body becomes to it. So you won’t be able to maximize its benefits by prolonging your cycle.
11-oxo is a mild prohormone and can be easily stacked with other steroids. It is usually stacked with Hexadrone and Formestane. This stack is great for beginners as it is mild and does not have any serious side effects. It works well for the beginners even when used as a standalone prohormone. Moreover, for experienced users, it works best when stacked with Methylated oral steroids. In this way, the main role of 11-oxo in the stack would be to control fat gain during bulking by inhibiting the enzyme that converts cortisone into cortisol, the active hormone responsible to fat gain in mean, especially around the chest and midsection. In addition, it will also increase strength levels which will improve the time duration and intensity of training sessions.
Post-Cycle Therapy (PCT)
No matter how mild a prohormone is, it is still not completely safe. Although 11-oxo is a non-methylated prohormone and isn’t harsh on the liver, it is still important to take a proper post-cycle therapy after cycling with it. 11-oxo can cause suppression if taken a dosage higher than 300 mg (orally) and 10 mg (topically). Stacking it with other prohormones can also lead to additional negative effects. If you stack it with methylated compounds, it is likely to be harsh on your liver. So it always better to go for liver support during the cycle and a proper post-cycle therapy after the cycle. When a prohormone enters our body, it disturbs the production of our natural hormones. Thus, PCT is required to bring our body’s hormone production to a normal level. In addition, PCT also helps our organs recover from all the damage that has been caused to them during the cycle. It helps us restore our overall health.
When we discontinue the use of a prohormone, it is very likely that its effects start wearing off after a while. So it is possible that you start losing your gains. PCT ensures that all your efforts do not go waste and helps you retain your gains for a longer period of time.
So make sure that you for a liver support during the cycle and a proper PCT right after its completion.
Final Verdict of 11-Oxo
11-Oxo is one of the best prohormones to cycle with, considering its multiple benefits and minimal side effects. It is non-methylated, mild prohormone and is thus great for the beginners. It can also be stacked other anabolic steroids to enhance the benefits. The fact that it does not convert into estrogen makes it even more likable. Its non-methylated nature makes it easy on the liver and other organs. Thus, you don’t have to worry much about your organ health. Its ability to control fat gain and help in fat loss process definitely makes it worth a try!